Saturday, March 28, 2009

stop, it's hatchet time.

on a monday night after work i was transferring at columbus circle to the 1 train. as usual, people are crammed into the cars, so close that i can count the number of hairs sticking out of my neighbors amorphous facial mole. and, as usual, the train, is still sitting on the track with the doors open. after a bout 3 or so minutes still waiting, i see hundreds of people running from the front two train cars. however, this was no normal exodus of the train, this was a panicked, screaming, mob running for the exit. they weren't just running out of the car, they ran OUT of the subway, through the turnstiles.

This mass exodus of course erupted mass panic in my car, and a woman behind me, in a blinding hysteria starts screaming and pushing through everyone screaming "GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY WAY". at this point, I have no idea what's going on but I know for damn sure that if there IS something going on, i want no part of it. I'm not about to die on a good god damn subway. so I stand out on the platform with a few others who have also chosen not to perish on the local 1 train.

after a few minutes, mass hysteria seems to settle down and something tells me it's safe to get back on the subway car. as I do, another girl gets on behind me, and cavalierly begins telling everyone, "yeah, i was in the first car. this guy thought someone pushed him so he pulled out a hatchet and started swinging it at people. he didn't hit anyone though. he had pretty bad aim. police already caught him". most people exclaimed a horrified, disturbed gasp, but I, of course, lean out of the car and sure enough, there is the dude, pinned against the wall by two people officers, with the hatchet lying at his feet.

this was my first day of work. i was concerned. things have since improved.

1 comment:

fivefoottwo said...

love it.
we need new nicknames.